Brand new and factory sealed.
Ships within the U.S. | Manufacturer's Warranty Included
Epos Elan 35 Floorstanding Speakers (pair)
Elan 35 is the largest floor-stand speaker in this new range. Its design holds true to the purist principles followed by Epos. The two woofers work together at low frequencies to provide even higher sensitivity and power handling than the bookshelf models in addition to delivering deeper and more powerful bass. We believe this design philosophy delivers the very best sound quality and musical performance for the money.
Only the finest real-wood veneers are selected, book-matched and hand-laid. Several coats of polyurethane are applied and polished for a high-quality finish. To minimise unwanted vibration and coloration, extensive horizontal and vertical internal bracing are positioned inside the sturdy 18mm thick MDF cabinets. For optimum performance and stability, they should be fitted with the plinths supplied, together with the adjustable spiked feet, designed to decouple unwanted energy from the cabinet into the floor.
Elan 30 with Grille
Elan 35 is supplied with two baffles. The standard audiophile baffle with no visible fixing screws is fitted. If required, this can easily be swapped for the alternative cloth covered version, which is designed with the same profile as the naked baffle. Both types of baffle fit snugly around the tweeter and are both gently contoured around the woofers. So, unlike a conventional grille frame, there are no obstructions or sharp edges to cause reflections and sound colorations. The sound from both types of baffle will therefore sound similar.
Epos has developed a new soft-dome tweeter for the Epic and Elan range. By using virtual-performance CAD simulation tools, this new tweeter has been designed to achieve the accuracy and speed of a metal dome but with smoothness associated with a soft dome. It has a low resonance frequency, high sensitivity and extended high frequency response. With its 25mm (one inch) doped-fabric dome, short horn, high-temperature Ferro-fluid cooled voice-coil and shielded neodymium magnet, it is capable of high output levels for extended periods. Its natural high sensitivity is necessary to match the much increased output from the new bass and mid-range drivers.
A new long-throw eight-Ohm 187mm bass/mid driver has been developed for the Elan 35. Built on to an open-frame cast-aluminium alloy chassis, with a generously ventilated spider and vented magnet pole, this driver minimises colorations and distortions while allowing greater sound pressure levels than earlier Epos drivers.
The bass/mid units feature a high-quality polypropylene cone and ‘bullet’-shaped dust cap. These form a stiff yet pliable, well-damped structure which retains its shape, even at high power. This helps the woofers to produce a dynamic sound, with a very even frequency response and naturally smooth roll-off. The lower woofer is rolled-off by the crossover (filtered) so that it only plays bass, allowing the top mid-woofer to play bass and mid-range smoothly. The mid-woofer is rolled-off (filtered) at higher frequencies by the crossover to integrate properly with the tweeter. This is essentially a true 2 ˝ way configuration.
Both woofers are loaded by a very large diameter port, flared at both ends, to reduce turbulence. Together they produce plenty of clean deep bass coupled with a clear, smooth and detailed mid-range. In some rooms, or in placing them close to a wall or corner of a room, this may be too much, so we have supplied a custom foam bung to fit inside the entrance to the port to restrict the airflow and roll-off the bass earlier.
A special feature of this floor-standing speaker is its high sensitive, making it suitable for use with a wide range of amplifiers, from as small as 10 watts to as large as 200 watts into 4 Ohms. So, tube fans should find this amp a perfect match.
• Power Handling 200 Watts unclipped speech and music
• Frequency Range 44 Hz – 25 kHz
• Impedance 4 Ohm nominal
• Sensitivity 93dB / 2.83V@1m
• Amplifier Compatibility 10 – 200 Watts
• Positioning Not less than 10 cm (4”) from rear wall
• Tweeter Epos 25mm soft dome with high-temperature voice coil, ferrofluid cooling and neodymium magnet system.
• Magnetically shielded
• Bass/Midrange Drivers 2x Epos mid-bass 187mm dia., with cast chassis, 25mm high-temperature voice coil and polypropylene cone.
• Crossover Frequencies 3.2kHz and 800Hz
• Crossover Bass, mid bass and tweeter networks all use 2nd order filters. Only metal oxide resistors and polypropylene film capacitors are used for optimum sound quality. The tweeter section has an air-cored inductor. Both the woofer and mid-woofer sections feature large-core laminated-iron inductors for low distortion and high power handling, all to ensure the very highest sound quality.
• Terminal Panel Bi-wirable. Can be single or double wired by removing shorting links provided.
• Internal wiring Solid-core Audiophile grade copper cable
• Cabinet 18mm MDF wrap and front baffle, extensively braced internally
• Finish Cherry or Black Oak real-wood veneer
• Grilles Removable ‘audiophile’ grille fitted as standard,
• Alternative cloth-covered grilles are packed as accessories.
• Size HxWxD – mm / in. 915 x 210 x 320 / 36 x 8.3 x 12.6 (cabinet only)
980 x 286 x 380 (inc. plinth and spikes)
• 20.8 kg/45.8 lb (single speaker including plinth) (net)
• 19.1 kg/42 lb (single speaker without plinth) (net)
• 25.7 kg/56.5 lb per carton (gross)
• One loudspeaker per carton.
• Two loudspeakers per order.